Sunday, January 21, 2007

Wow

Honestly, I didn't see this coming at all. First I thought the Whiz was a lock when this thing first got started, then I naturally thought Grimm was going to get it. Well I have some grim news for him (bad pun I know), after SI.com first reported mid afternoon yesterday that Mike Tomlin is going to be hired by our Pittsburgh Steelers, espn.com denied any of this was going on, then by about 10 at night espn was reporting it was only a matter of time before an announcement from the Steelers making Tomlin their 3rd head coach in 38 years.

Well let's get right to it, I really didn't think that the Steelers would hire a black coach. I don't have any problem with it at all of course but I just didn't think they would do it. Even though the rule that forces all NFL teams to interview at least one minority candidate is called the Rooney rule, I just didn't think they would take this young guy, that has a defensive philosophy that is completely different than our current one. This would completely disrupt everything that has been building up over the past several years. I don't know really what they are thinking especially when we still had a decent defense this year. I thought it was a good move however hiring young again (he's the same age as Cowher when we hired him). I guess we'll just ahve to put our faith in the Rooney's on this one. Let's hope they've made the right decision.

On a hockey note, I really hope everyone was watching what the Pens did to the Leafs last night. Not only did we win 8-2, but we absolutely dominated the power play (and we are in a 3 way tie for the 8th playoff spot). Our PP last night consisted of Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Rec, and Gonchar. If that isn't one of the better power play line-ups in the league I don't what would be. We were 5-10 on PP which is incredible considering how we've struggled with the power play at times this season. We dominated the entire game: Sid had 1 goal and 2 assists, Rec had 3 goals and 1 assist and Malkin has 5 assists. I haven't seen us dominate a team that isn't from Philthadelphia for a while and it sure put a good taste in my mouth know at the all-star break we do in fact have a playoff spot (and I don't think anyone would want to play us in the playoffs, the only team that I think is truely better than we are is Buffalo).

Anyway enjoy the Championship games today my picks are the Aints and the Colts.

UPDATE -- It's official, Tomlin is the next Steelers coach. Does this mean a house cleaning? This should effect our drafting though considering we will probably switch to a 4-3. Probably means we will draft a defensive tackle.

No comments: